Seeking financial advice may at first appear to be a daunting task, but it is there to make your life easier. Financial advisers are highly qualified experts and should be considered just as essential as using an accountant or lawyer when you need one. They can help cut through the complexities using the benefit of their experience to give you the best possible chance of achieving your financial goals.
It pays to take advice
The most successful investors take financial advice. Unbiased, an organisation which aims to support people in finding quality financial advice, reported that Brits who took professional financial advice between 2001 and 2006 enjoyed an average increase in their assets of nearly £48,000 after 10 years, compared to those who took no advice.
When do I need financial advice?
Your need for financial advice will evolve as your life changes. There are, however, key milestones when financial advice can be particularly useful, such as:
- You have started your career and have an income for the first time: How much should you be saving? When should you start saving into a pension?
- You are buying a house, or moving: What can you stretch to? How will your mortgage impact on your other financial outgoings?
- You have started a family: When and how should you start saving for your children’s futures, such as university? Have your protection needs changed?
- You have inherited a lump sum: What’s the optimum way to invest this?
- You are approaching retirement: What’s the most efficient way to access your pension?
- You want to plan for long-term care: how much should you be putting aside, and where should it go, in order to give it the best chance of growing?
- You want to make plans to pass on your wealth to your loved ones: how can you do this tax-efficiently?
Take the first step towards financial advice
Your need for financial advice and planning lasts a lifetime, and your adviser should be there with you every step of the way. Your relationship with your financial adviser is potentially a long one, so it’s important to find an adviser you trust.
This is where Quilter can help. We have a nationwide network of highly qualified advisers who can help wherever you are on your financial journey.
Perhaps you’ve hesitated to seek financial advice because you’re worried about the cost. Like any professional advice, it isn’t free, but expert financial advice will pay dividends by helping you achieve your financial goals in the most tax-efficient way possible.