The security of client data is of utmost importance to us. We use an encrypted email function called ‘Proofpoint’ to protect sensitive material sent to you via email from unauthorised viewing or malicious intervention.
1. I have received an email from Quilter. There is no content or attachment in the email, and it’s asking me to click on a link and to create an account. What does this mean?
To protect the personal information we send, the message body and attachment in the email has been encrypted. Please follow the steps to create your personal account so that you can view the content sent in the email.
2. Why am I not able to receive an attachment in the ‘normal’ way?
The sender has emailed an attachment or content that is deemed personal, private or confidential, and we need to protect this type of data. Sending email via encrypted methods is a data security requirement which aims to protect confidential and personal data. All emails sent to external parties that may contain sensitive personal information will need to use this approach. The attachment is still there, it’s just accessible in a different way so that the email content is protected.
3. Are there instructions on how to access the document?
You can download a guide on how to use Quilter secure email by clicking the download link above this FAQ section. This includes information on how to set up an account, open emails, send replies and reset your password.
4. How can I identify the email/link is from Quilter? How do I know it’s not phishing?
When you receive a secure email you will see it is addressed directly from a Quilter employee using the firstname.lastname@example.org email address format. Hovering above the link should show that this directs to the domain ‘securemail.quilter.com’. If you are not expecting the email, you can also contact the sender either in a separate, new email or via a phone call to check that they have sent it.
5. How can I trust the email is secure?
The Proofpoint service that Quilter uses provides a portal secured using HTTPS. This secure portal provides security that only you can access the content when you login and review your personal account. The messages and files held in the system are protected with encryption for added security.
6. Will I have to log in each time I want to retrieve an email?
Yes, as with any login account, you will have to remember your details once you’ve set them up and login each time you want to retrieve an email.
7. How long do I have to review the email or download any content?
The link in the email is valid for 7 days. The time and date of expiry is included in the email. After this allocated time you will need to ask for the email to be resent.
8. I don’t want to create a login, how can I get the document?
If you would prefer, we can send you the required document by post. Please contact the sender to request this.
9. Which operating systems are supported by Proofpoint and are there any browser requirements?
Proofpoint supports Windows, Android and IOS. There are no special requirements for browsers.
10. Do I need any special software to read the emails or access the attached documents?
No special systems or readers are required to access the portal.
11. What should I do if I forget my password?
You can reset your password by clicking on ‘Forgot Password’ from the login page. You will be directed to a ‘securemail.quilter.com’ page. From here you can enter your security question (which you will have set up at registration) and then reset your password. For further help, please refer to the user guide, which can be downloaded from this FAQ page. Please note, your password will expire every 90 days.
12. I have never heard of ProofPoint, where can I find more information?
Proofpoint are the providers of the secure email solution used by Quilter. If you would like further information, please see www.proofpoint.com/us
13. How do you keep and use my information that I have provided via your given link?
Your information (first name, last name, password and security question response) will only be used for authentication. The personal information will be safeguarded within the Proofpoint system, and any passwords are not stored in clear text.
14. I would like to delete all my data, how can I do this?
If you want to delete a registered account, please contact your Quilter representative and request they contact the IT department to remove your account.
15. What email domains are part of the secure email service from Quilter?
Currently the following email domains are part of the Quilter secure email service:
Other helpful tips
- You can click ‘More Info’ on the email envelope for more information.
- If you have a problem opening the secure email, your organisation may have locked down certain aspects of your access, and may need to add ‘securemail.quilter.com’ into the trusted sites in your browser.
- You cannot forward the message on to anyone else, however you can reply to the email and ask that the encrypted message is sent to more than one person going forward. They will then also receive an encrypted email.