Today, there’s an estimated 700,000 young carers in the UK looking after loved ones with disabilities, long-term illnesses, mental health issues or addiction problems.
Caring for a loved one from a young age can have a serious impact on a young person’s future prospects, education outcomes and mental health. That’s why we have launched the Young Carers Campaign, a partnership with Carers Trust and The Mix.that aims to invest £1.5m over three years to give tens of thousands of young people the chance of a brighter future by developing and delivering:
- pioneering support services for young carers in the UK, and
- programmes that provide immediate relief to young carers who face barriers to their wellbeing, education or employment prospects.
The aims of our headline campaign are to:
- Provide immediate relief, digital guidance and personal development opportunities.
- Inspire long-term change for young carers.
- Change perceptions of caring.
Since we have partnered with Carers Trust, over 900 young carers have benefited from funding from the Quilter Foundation, which has raised £171,000 so far for the charity.